Trinity Field Hockey Outlasted by Tufts on Senior Day

Trinity Field Hockey Outlasted by Tufts on Senior Day

Hartford, Conn. - The No. 12 ranked Trinity College field hockey team dropped a hard fought, 4-2, game to the No. 5 ranked Tufts University Jumbos on Sunday afternoon at Robin Sheppard Field in Hartford. The Bantams, who celebrated this year's senior class prior to the game, fall to 10-3 on the year and 5-3 in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) play as they enter a three-way tie for third place in the conference. Tufts improves to 10-2 overall and takes sole possession of first place with a 6-3 league record.

Tufts senior Annie Artz (Gates Mills, Ohio) led the Jumbos with two goals on the afternoon, the first of which came just nine minutes into the first half after she dribbled the ball into the Trinity defense and snuck a shot past Bantam junior goalie Lori Berger (Scottsdale, Ariz.). The Bantams answered just three minutes later thanks to a corner inserted by first-year Nicole Quinlan (Duxbury, Mass.) which was set by sophomore Allison Slowe (Medfield, Mass.) and drilled into the back of the box by junior Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) for her 20th goal of the season.

Tufts reclaimed the lead in the 22nd minute thanks to a nifty shot by junior Mary Travers (Princeton, N.J.) that she lifted into the top corner of the box, just barely under the top crossbar, to put the Jumbos back up, 2-1. Exactly a minute later, Trinity was whistled for a foul to give Tufts a corner that the Jumbos made good on. After the insertion, Celia Lewis (Houston, Texas) slapped a shot past Berger via an assist from Travers to extend the visitor's lead to two before the half.

In a hard-played second half by both teams, the Bantams cut the deficit to one just ten minutes into the period after junior Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) fired a shot towards goal that was redirected off of Slowe's stick and past Tufts goalie Emily Polinski (East Brunswick, N.J.). Despite a 6-0 Trinity advantage in second half corners and a 5-3 second half shot advantage by the Bantams, Tufts sealed the victory on Artz's second goal of the game that came in the 52nd minute. 

Trinity returns to action on Wednesday as they travel down the road to take on in-state rival Wesleyan University at 6 p.m.